I did an experiment this morning and made a nice cordial to reproduce the delicious Lemon Lime and Bitters drink that's so popular in Oz.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup water
- finely grated peel of 3 limes and 2 lemons
- juice from same
- Put the Sugar and water into pot.
- Add peel.
- Bring to a simmer and cover.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes, covered, then add juices.
- Cover again.
- Simmer a couple of minutes more and let cool for about 20 minutes, still covered.
- Strain (fine strainer) into a sterilised bottle with a screw top and keep in the fridge.
- Pour into a glass according to taste, add fizzy water, Angostura Bitters, and ice.
I've just tried some, and it's yummy and very refreshing! I'm sure it could be made with flat water too…
10 August 2013
Eva Menuhin joined us aboard ADAGIO for our passage from New Caledonia to New Zealand in 2012. When not cruising, she lives in London.