This is our favorite recipe from the 1992 cookbook: Dairy Hollow House Soup & Bread Cookbook, by Crescent Dragonwagon. We prepare this soup before departing on a blue water passage aboard ADAGIO. It makes an excellent appetizer or main dish, and is sooooooo good for you, too!
This recipe serves approximately 8 people as a main dish.
Prepare all of the ingredients in advance, so that you are ready to add each ingredient to the soup as it is called for.
- 2 T Canola Oil
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 3 medium-sized Red Bell Peppers, diced
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Tb Honey
- 1-1/2 lbs Carrots, peeled and finely chopped or grated
- 2 Tb Tomato Paste
- 2 Tb Long-grain Rice
- Grated Zest of one Orange
- 1 cup freshly squeezed Orange Juice
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
- Freshly toasted Cashew nuts, either whole or chopped for garnish
In a large soup pot, sauté the chopped Onion in the Oil for 3 minutes. Add the diced Red Bell Peppers, and sauté for 5 minutes more.
Add the Chicken Stock, Honey, Tomato Paste, Rice and Carrots. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until Rice is soft and the Carrots are tender.
- Remove the pot from the heat.
- Add the Salt and Pepper, Orange Juice and Grated Zest.
- Purée some of the soup in a Blender, or if you have a Hand Blender, submerge the blade into the soup pot and purée the soup until smooth with small chunks.
- Serve garnished with the toasted Cashews.
This soup keeps well in the refrigerator.