This recipe serves 4 people
- 20 Brussels Sprouts with stems cut off, and large ones cut in half
- 1/2 red onion, sliced very thin
- 2 T Olive Oil
- Half Walnuts, toasted
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup warm or hot chicken broth
- Place olive oil, brussels sprouts, onions and salt and pepper in a skillet or a Wok.
- Stir fry over High heat for 1 to 2 minutes, until everything is hot and covered with oil.
- Pour in the hot chicken broth, bring to a boil, place a lid on the pan, reduce the heat to Low and simmer.
- Meanwhile, toast the walnuts in a microwave for 2 minutes on High, or in an oven.
- Stir the brussels sprouts from time to time, checking to be sure that the liquid has not boiled away.
- Add small amounts of hot water from time to time if necessary.
- Taste a hot brussels sprout after 5 or more minutes of steaming. If still hard and “raw”, replace the lid and continue to steam.
- When the brussels sprout is cooked through and still “crisp”, remove the skillet from the burner, leaving the lid on.
- Just before serving, stir in the toasted walnuts, and pour into a warm serving dish.