We made this for our daughter's birthday cake in 2013. It was a huge success!
A moist, vegan chocolate cake made with Avocado.
Author: Monique of AmbitiousKitchen.com
Ingredients for the Cake:
- 3 oz good-quality vegan Chocolate (I used regular dark chocolate, Dorothy)
- 2/3 cup freshly brewed Coffee
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup packed Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup Canola oil
- 1/2 large very ripe Avocado, mashed (I used a whole avocado, Dorothy)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Unsweetened soy, coconut, or almond Milk (I used regular lowfat milk, Dorothy)
- 1/2 cup vegan Chocolate Chips (I used regular chocolate chips, Dorothy)
- Canola Oil and extra flour to prepare the pan
Ingredients for the vegan Ganache:
- 8 oz vegan Chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup Coconut Milk (lite or full-fat), plus more if necessary
Instructions for Cake:
- Oil and flour a 12-cup bundt cake pan with Canola oil.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, (180 degrees C).
- Place a small saucepan over low heat and add 3 oz of good-quality vegan chocolate and freshly brewed coffee. Whisk until chocolate is completely melted, then remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, both sugars, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, beat together mashed avocado, oil, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Whisk in cooled chocolate and your milk of choice.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips. Your cake batter should be pretty thick. If it’s too thick, add in an extra tablespoon or two of milk.
- Pour batter into prepared bundt pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until tester inserted into center of cake comes out almost clean, with just a few crumbs attached.
- Let cool in pan for an hour on a wire rack before turning the cake over and transferring to wire rack to finish cooling completely.
Instructions for vegan chocolate ganache:
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, add coconut milk and chopped chocolate.
- Watch carefully and whisk until chocolate is completely melted. If you want a thinner ganache, add more coconut milk.
- Let stand for a few minutes then immediately spoon ganache over the cake.
- Top ganache with sprinkles, more chocolate chips, nuts, or another topping of choice.
- Serve immediately!