When we were aboard ADAGIO in Bainbridge Island, Washington, USA, we were introduced to the numerous “rubs” sold under the brand name of Tom Douglas. Our favorite was the Salmon Rub. We are unable to buy this rub in New Zealand and Australia, so we reverse-engineered the recipe. Here is is. Be sure to use Sweet Smoked Paprika, NOT HOT Smoked Paprika.
Mix together the Salmon Rub:
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Sweet Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried Thyme
- 1/4 tsp Salt
Instructions For Cooking the Fish:
- Heat a Wok on High heat.
- Add 3 Tb Olive Oil and stir to coat the pan
- Place fillets of Salmon into the hot oil, first one side then the other to coat both sides with oil.
- Sprinkle Salmon Rub onto the fish.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Turn the heat down to Medium.
- Turn the fish over, and add more Olive Oil to the pan if necessary.
- Sprinkle the Salmon Rub onto the second side of the fish.
- Cook for another minute, testing for doneness.
- When the fish is just flaky but still a little soft in the center, remove it to a heated plate and cover.
- Deglaze the pan with a little white wine, and pour over the fish.
- Serve immediately.