In the 1970's we traveled with Steve's parents to Monterrey, Mexico, where we dined at La Verriena Restaurant. The chef was Cordon Bleu trained, and I boldly asked her for the recipe for the delicious Caesar Salad. Here it is.
- 1 Tb Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tb Worcestershire Sauce
- 4 mashed Anchovies and juice
- 2 tsp fresh Lime Juice
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tb Olive Oil
- 1 medium minced Garlic
- 1 egg
- Cos (Romaine) lettuce, washed, dried and chilled
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
Mix the first seven ingredients together with a wire whisk.
Coddle one Egg by breaking the egg into a microwave-proof container with a lid, and cooking for 30 seconds on High in a microwave. Mix with a fork and allow to cool.
Wash and dry chilled Romaine (Cos) lettuce and break it into large pieces. Place the lettuce into a large salad bowl.
When your guests are sitting at the table:
- Add the coddled Egg to the lettuce and toss well to coat the leaves.
- Add the first mixture of ingredients to the lettuce and toss.
- Sprinkle the salad with freshly grated Parmesan Cheese and croutons.