My mother was famous for her potato salad. The last time I made it with her was on the occasion of her 90th birthday party. I have provided a list of ingredients. Before finalizing this recipe I sent it to my four sisters to ask if I had it right. They sent numerous corrections and fun stories. Our mother was usually cooking for a crowd so would use 1 jar of mayonaise, 1 jar of olives, 1 jar of pickles and a dozen eggs. I don't remember how many potatoes and onions she used. It is up to you to determine the proportions, to suit your own taste. Make it for your next family picnic!
- Boiled smooth-skinned, white potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
- Chopped onion. I prefer red onions for their sweet taste. (optional)
- Sweet pickles, rough chopped or thinly sliced
- Green olives stuffed with pimentos, cut in half
- Boiled eggs, cut into pieces or sliced crosswise for decoration
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Sweet Smoked Paprika for garnish
- Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate, covered with plastic wrap.
- A nice touch is to reserve some of the hard boiled eggs to slice cross-wise, into rings, and place them decoratively on the top of the salad, then lightly sprinkling them with Paprika.