I really enjoy tossing a mixed salad in a large, wooden salad bowl. When we stayed with our friends, Joe and Kathy of S/V KATIEKAT, in California, we began each dinner meal with this salad.
I do not own a lettuce spinner, so after cooling the lettuce in ice water, I spread the leaves out on a large, clean towel, wrap them up with the long ends of the towel exposed, and twirl the towel over my head like a cowgirl's lassoo, allowing centrifugal force to dry the lettuce. Store the towel and lettuce in the fridge until needed.
- Enough fresh mixed greens and/or baby spinach to serve the people at your table.
- 1-1/2 Tb Olive Oil per person
- Balsamic Vinegar — 2 teaspoons per person
- Chinese Mirin (Sweet Cooking Rice Wine) — 2 teaspoons per person
- Garlic cloves, peeled and chopped — 1 clove per person
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
- A mixture of chopped and sliced fresh vegetables, including but not exclusive to:thinly sliced small red onion, grape tomatoes cut in half, thinly sliced peeled carrots, small broccoli flowerets, small cauliflower flowerets, sliced radishes
- Buffalo Mozarella balls — 1 per person, each cut into 4 pieces.
- Place the Lettuce and spinach into a large lettuce spinner and cover with cold water.
- Leave to soak and crisp while you make the Vinaigrette dressing.
- Place the Garlic, Salt and Pepper into a large salad bowl.
- Pour in the Balsamic Vinegar and Mirin
- With a wire whisk, stir rapidly until the Salt is dissolved.
- Pour in a tablespoon of the Olive oil and whisk vigorously.
- Continue to add the Olive oil, 1 tablespoons at a time, whisking vigorously after each addition.
- The Vinaigrette will begin to thicken slightly.
- Continue to whisk in all of the Olive oil until you have the amount of Vinaigrette to coat your lettuce and spinach.
- Just before serving, drain the lettuce and spinach and spin dry in the spinner.
- Place the lettuce and spinach in the salad bowl and toss to coat the leaves thoroughly with the Vinaigrette.
- Add the vegetables and toss thoroughly again.
- Scatter the Buffalo Mozarella pieces on top of the salad.
- Serve immediately.