From The Joy of Cooking, first published in 1931. My edition was printed in June, 1972.
Sometime during the 1990's, The Joy of Cooking was re-written. I found it a big disappointment. The new Joy of Cooking omitted numerous recipes that are not available in other cookbooks. This is one of those recipes.
I usually make a woven lattice crust top, so that the juices can ooze and bubble up between and over the lattices.
- 20 oz frozen berries or cherries, defrosted enough so that the fruit separates easily
- 3 Tb Quick-Cooking Tapioca
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 2 Tb Melted Butter
- Mix the ingredients listed above and let stand for 15 minutes:
- Make dough for a double-crust 9″ pie.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 ° F (230 ° C).
- Line a pie pan with pie crust dough.
- Fill the pie shell with the berry mixture.
- Cover with crust or lattice and bake in a preheated 450 ° F (230 ° C) oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and bake at 350 ° F (175 ° C) for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Cool on a rack until comfortable enough to handle.
- Serve warm or cool.
- Store in refrigerator.