I have been experimenting with this technique with great success. My success might be due to the particular brand of rice I am using, or to the particular microwave rice cooker that I use. However, I have tried this with good results using two different microwave rice cookers. The chief benefit of the microwave rice cooker is that rice cooks in half the time as in a pan on the stove top. Also, the results are more predictable. The instructions on the package say to rinse the rice thoroughly, but I do not rinse.
The rice I am using is made in India and imported into New Zealand, so hopefully you can buy it where you live. “India Gate Basmati Rice Brown” is the label on the package. The brown rice comes out light and fluffy when cooked by this method.
- Microwave rice cooker
- 1 cup India Gate Basmati Rice Brown
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tb Butter or Olive Oil
- A little salt to your taste
- Pour the rice into the rice cooker.
- Heat 2-1/4 cups of water to warm and pour over the rice.
- Stir, and allow to soak for 1 hour or more.
- Add the Butter or Olive Oil.
- Microwave on High for 15 minutes.
- Allow to stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Toss and serve.