Minh Thu was born in Vietnam, and raised in France. She and her husband, Alan, have sailed for many years aboard their catamaran NOUVELLE VIE II. In New Zealand, they invited us aboard for a delicious Vietnamese meal. For dessert, she served this French delicacy. It is very easy and quick to make — perfect for cooking aboard a boat.
- A pot or skillet that can be used on the stove top and in the oven
- Pastry brush for painting the egg wash onto the top of the puff pastry
- A small package (400 gm) of frozen Flaky Puff Pastry, defrosted according to package instructions
- 6 large cooking Apples, peeled, cored and each cut into 8 pieces
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup Dried Cranberries
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- a pinch of Salt
- 2 Tbsp Mixed Citrus Peel
- 1 egg, beaten with a fork
Place the apples, brown sugar, cranberries, butter, salt and citrus peel into an oven-proof pan, on the stove top.
Heat the apple mixture, tossing continually, untill the apples are mostly cooked, but not mushy.
Preheat the oven to 200C (for convection oven) or 220 C for normal oven.
Cut the puff pastry into four strips and roll each strip out to about 1/4 inch thick.
Cut each strip in half, and lay the strips over the top of the apple mixture, creating a large “lattice” appearance.
Paint the egg wash over the tops of the puff pastry strips.
Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove and cool.
Serve warm or cold with Yoghurt, Ice cream or Cream.