This is based on a recipe from the Gourmet Cookbook, edited by Ruth Reichl, 2004. I have made modifications. I have always baked this cake in a Bundt cake pan, but I would expect it to do well as two round cake layers, with the cooking time reduced to about 45 minutes. I like to substitute 1/2 cup applesauce for 1/2 cup of the Canola Oil, as described below.
- 3 cups all purpose white Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1-1/2 cups Canola Oil (or 1 cup Canola Oil and 1/2 cup applesauce)
- 3 large Eggs
- 2 cups Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp grated Nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon dark Rum or 1-1/2 tsp Rum extract
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 medium-sized Apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1/2 cup dried Cranberries
- 1/2 cup whole Almonds
A 12-cup Bundt cake pan
- Put a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 ° F (175° C).
- Thoroughly butter and flour the Bundt pan, knocking out excess flour.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the Flour, Baking Soda and Salt.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together the Oil, Eggs, Sugar, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Rum/Extract, Vanilla (and applesauce if you are using it), until just combined.
- With a large spoon or spatula, fold in the flour mixture until just combined, then fold in the Apples, Cranberries and Almonds.
- Spoon the batter into the pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 ° F (175° C) oven, until a knife or a wooden toothpick inserted deep into the center of the cake comes out clean — about 1-1/4 hours.
- Cool the cake upright in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then turn the cake upside down onto the rack to cool completely.
- Remove the pan from the cake after it has cooled.
Serve plain or with Rum Sauce and Whipped Cream.