I rarely do detailed meal planning, until after I have shopped at the local Farmers' Market. This week I came upon the perfect ingredients for this yummy salad — a bag of colorful small “Heritage” tomatoes, a bunch of fresh Basil, and freshly made Mozarella bocconcinis from the Mahoe Cheese Factory stall (http://www.mahoecheese.co.nz/).
Recipe feeds 4 as part of a light lunch
- Small tomatoes of several different colours, about 5 per person, sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Olive Oil
- Mozarella bocconcinis cheese, about two “balls”, cut in half, then sliced
- 1 very generous hand full of fresh Basil leaves, left whole.
- Place the sliced tomatoes in a small bowl.
- Add the salt and pepper, to your taste, and pour 2 to 3 tablespoons of Olive Oil over.
- Stir gently.
- Allow to sit for an hour while you prepare other dishes.
- Pour the tomato mixture into a serving bowl, and arrange the bocconcini slices over the top in a layer.
- Add the basil leaves on top of the bocconcinis.
- After your guests are seated, pour a little bit more Olive Oil onto the basil leaves and toss the salad carefully to mix.