Serves 4 people as a main dish
The Farmers' Market in Whangarei, New Zealand was a source of the summer's best freshly picked corn. We developed this simple and delicious recipe to enjoy aboard ADAGIO while were were stuck in the Town Basin Marina for ADAGIO's 12-year refit. Use very fresh corn. Keep it in the refrigerator until you are ready to make the soup.
This soup is quick to make, and quite satisfying. You should obtain good results using frozen corn, but I have not tried this. Be sure not to overcook the corn, or it will lose its sweetness. If you cannot obtain Chorizo sausage, use a lean, smoked bacon, and remove the fat from the pan before you add the onion and garlic. Do not overcook the sausage, as you want to get your teeth into it when you are eating the soup. Be sure to use Sweet smoked paprika, NOT HOT smoked paprika. There is a big difference.
- Corn kernels removed from 6 large ears of corn
- 1 T butter
- 2 T oil (1 T oil if you are using bacon)
- 5 inches Chorizo sausage, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds, then cut each round in half. Taste the Chorizo and if it is too spicy, use less.-
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 large, fat garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 quart (1 litre) good chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp Sweet Smoked Spanish Paprika
- Additional slices of Chorizo sausage, sliced and heated until crisp for garnish
- Over Medium heat, in a medium sized soup pot, heat the oil.
- Sauté the Chorizo and onion, until the onion is translucent, but not until brown.
- Add the garlic and sauté for a minute more.
- Add the corn.
- Turn up the heat to High and using two spatulas or wooden spoons toss all the ingredients for a few minutes, until all is heated and covered with oil. Do not allow ingredients to sit in the pot. Keep tossing, as in a stir-fry, until the corn is heated, but not burned and not over-cooked.
- Add the chicken broth and the Paprika.
- Stir until the soup is hot. Do not boil, or you will overcook the corn.
- Remove the pot from the stove top.
- Blend the soup with a hand blender to thicken, but leave at least half of the corn kernels whole.
- Garnish each bowl of soup with the crisp slices of Chorizo sausage.
- Serve immediately with crusty bread and a little hard cheese.